Tuesday, February 16, 2010

When Will We Take Care Of Our Own? | haRdLy NOrMal

Feel free to read what you want into that title because this morning I have so many mixed emotions I don%u2019t care what you think of me. I only care that you feel a little bit of what I am feeling so maybe we will all wake up and start taking care of our own neighbors.

Last year the most horrifying photo was a Detroit homeless man frozen in the ice. Over the summer I happened to be visiting Detroit and we drove by that building. I was told that kids found that man frozen but decided to play a game of hockey before they reported it.

This morning someone posted a link on InvisiblePeople.tv%u2019s Facebook page about Stephen Frye who lost both of his legs and one arm to frostbite after passing out in an abandoned building he called home!

I am about to visit Alaska where over a dozen homeless people died on the streets last year. In Salt Lake City 58 people homeless people died last year. Only two weekends ago 3 homeless people died in Santa Barbara, California. Wherever you live in this great country of ours people are dying outside!

How many people have to die on the streets before we wake up and start taking care of our own communities?

(Photos by Max Ortiz / The Detroit News & Ryan Garza / The Flint Journal)

This entry was posted on Saturday, February 6th, 2010 at 12:01 pm and is filed under My Big Mouth. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Posted via web from Wesley83's Posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment